Sunday 28 October 2018

For Joe Denly

The last time he played, I had just started my graduation in 2010. In between his last game and now, I had lived an entire lifetime of heartbreaks, pain, and agony. Watching England struggle is one of the most painful things I have to go through.

Imagine having to live for 3,172 days without the thing you love the most. The proud three-lions cap. Denly must have missed it. Hell, even I missed it for him. When he went out for England yesterday, my faith in perseverance and hard-work got renewed. It was a moment of euphoria for me.

When Joe came out to bat yesterday, I had tears of joy rolling down my cheek. It was Saturday night with me trying to read some science on my sofa. England was trying to find closing momentum. Stokesy was struggling on the other end going at run-a-ball. The outfield had got damp because of the rain and there was a chance that England could end up with a below par total. And amidst this, Joe was up against one of the all-time greatest T20 bowlers: Lasith Malinga. It was an enormously uphill task. Keep the wickets and try to accelerate.

Malinga was just too good for him. With the mix of slower balls and deadly toe-crushing yorkers, he was hard to get away with. He bowled 4 dot balls in a row to Joe Denly and it was painful to watch. Eventually, Joe got going in the next over with 3 boundaries. All of them were pure class. The use of feet lifting over the bowler's head followed by slash over third man and ending the over with a gorgeous midwicket on-drive. He was back! I was feeling elated and ecstatic at home.

In the next over, Malinga got rid of Denly. He made 20 before departing. It was a decent innings considering the fact that Denly opens the batting for his county, Kent and it was a very unfamiliar role in a completely different situation and that too, in the subcontinent. I was reasonably happy for him. But his best was yet to come.

Captain Morgan gave him the new ball to bowl some leg-breaks. Denly often does that for Kent.

Joe Denly was simply sensational. He got the ball to turn just enough. The ball was skidding because of dampness and he got rid of both Sri Lankan openers in his first two overs. Rashid did the rest and both leggies combined 7 wickets in their 8 overs. Denly bowled the last over and got two more wickets and ended up with 4-0-19-4. The best bowling figures in T20Is for England against Sri Lanka. England had a comprehensive win by 30 runs.

Normally, I sleep early. But this time, I stayed awake till late. Just to watch him. It was worth it. I was a little sad that the game had to end. I wanted to soak it up a bit more. It's sad that nothing lasts.

Typical Saturday for Cricket fans, huh?

1 comment:

  1. T-Shirt - T-Shirt - Titanium Sheet, Custom T-Shirt by T-Shirt
    T-Shirt - titanium plumbing T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. titanium bicycle T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. guy tang titanium toner T-Shirt. T-Shirt. titanium damascus T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. T-Shirt. titanium guitar chords

    ReplyDelete

My Views Over Mankading

Last week Ashwin mankaded Joss Buttler in an IPL game. Without a warning. Even stopping for a non-reasonable amount of time in his deliver...